Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lost Sight

This morning I was ahead of schedule and ready to have a great day full of success and accomplishment. Then I dropped my contact when it was almost in my eye. The world came to a complete stand still.

I have had contacts for decades, since I was 10 years old. I have occasionally lost a lens. Every time I lose one I feel this sense of time suspension. I can't seem to progress in my day or my life for that matter if I can't see. I have also had many ,what I call, minor miracles in my life from finding a lost contact lens in impossible places. Seeing is very important to me. If I wake up and fix breakfast without my contacts or glasses I don't have clear memories of the morning's events. My sight abilities help create my memories and the permanent pictures in my head.

I wish I had a second set of lenses that could help me see the truth of all things. Sometimes I just can't figure out why people do dumb things. Are they just dumb people? Wish I could see the motivations behind the actions. If I could know, I could understand and that would effect my reactions or actions. I would like to have another set of lenses that would give me a view of the future. But maybe a clear and impartial view of the past could be just as helpful. Maybe if we all saw things a little less clouded by the lenses of our opinions and prejudices we could be more tolerant or forgiving or loving.

"I see," she said with a contemplative nod of her head.

So this morning everyone in the house is gone but me, one of my contacts is missing. I am standing in the bathroom trying to decide if I should move or stand perfectly still. Finally, I carefully started checking around me, taking the curve of pipe off the sink, searching the sink, counter top, and floor around me. I decided I needed a flashlight to see better. There I was holding my flashlight crawling around the bathroom floor in my underwear looking for my lost contact. I really needed to see.

I found it.

-whew-

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found it! And I'm sorry you had a bad day. I love you. Hope tomorrow is better.

    ReplyDelete